6 Reduce child mortality
Where are we?
Consistent improvement in child mortality reduction is recorded throughout the years since the base year 2003. Under-5 mortality since the base year of 257 deaths (per 1000 live births), with value recorded for 2012 indicate 102 deaths (Per 1000 live births) reveal 60% reduction. The targets set for 2015 93 death per 1000 live births and extendedly 76 deaths per 1000 live births in 2020 are both achievable. Infant mortality rate from 165 (per 1000 live births) is reduced to 74 (per 1000 live births) according to data recorded for 2012, while the target for 2015 to further reduce it to 70 and 46 deaths per 1000 live births by 2020 are also achievable.
Though, progress on proportion of 1 year old children immunized (%) against measles is slow and to reach 90 percent target for 2015, with value for 2012 recorded 62 percent, progress is off-track.
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG4
- Reduce by two thirds the mortality rate among children under five
- Under-five mortality rate
- Infant mortality rate
- Proportion of 1 year-old children immunised against measles